The places of worship in Penhill Benefice range from the 13th century church at Wensley described as one of the most beautiful and interesting in Yorkshire, to the small traditional barn which serves Thornton Rust as a Mission Room. (left: medieval art at Wensley church)
The Anglo-Saxon cross at West Witton church is indicative of the long history of Christianity in Wensleydale. That church was rebuilt in in 1875 but, in additiona to that at Wensley, there are others which still retain their medieval orgins – at Castle Bolton and Redmire. Interior decoration ranges from the 20th century mural at Preston under Scar to the superb work of the medieval craftsmen who created the Jervaulx Screen at Aysgarth church.
Do come and enjoy them and the beautiful countryside in which they are situated.
Our church buildings are usually open:
Preston under Scar and Wensley - Daily
Aysgarth - daily
Castle Bolton - daily
Redmire - Daily
West Witton - daily